- (+852) 2533-7605
- 1975Solicitor, Hong Kong
- 1978Solicitor, England and Wales
- 1983Solicitor, Victoria, Australia
- 1985Solicitor, Singapore
- 1987Notary Public
- 1995China-Appointed Attesting Officer
- 2006Civil Celebrant of Marriages
Mr. Cheng joined this Firm in 1973 as an articled clerk. Upon admission as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Hong Kong in 1975 he started his legal career as an associate solicitor. Admitted In 1979 as a partner of this Firm, Mr. Cheng had been the managing partner of our Litigation Practice, as well as our Commercial and Corporate Practice. In 1994 he succeeded Mr. C. H. Wong to be the Senior Partner of the Firm.
Currently Mr. Cheng is focusing his practice in the capital market. He has extensive experience in advising public companies listed on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited on compliance and good corporate governance practice, initial public offers of shares in listed companies and subsequent raising of capital, corporate restructuring and re-financing of corporate loans and borrowings, mergers and acquisition. He has also been advising extensively Church and non-governmental organizations and charities on their tax exemption and other legal issues.
As Senior Partner, Mr. Cheng is leading the Firm in strategic planning and business development as well as responsible for the overall management of the Firm.
Private/Public Services Involvements
- China Resources Enterprise, Limited
- Guangdong Investment Limited
- K. Wah International Holdings Limited
- Kader Holdings Company Limited
- Liu Chong Hing Investment Limited
- Tian An China Investments Company Limited
- Towngas China Company Limited中国移动有限公司 Directorship of company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange
- ARA Asset Management Limited Current Private/Public Services Hong Kong
- Chairman, Education Commission
- Chairman, Committee on Free Kindergarten Education
- Chairman, Advisory Committee on Post-office Employment for Former Chief Executives and Politically Appointed Officials
- Chairman, Advisory Committee on Post-Service Employment of Civil Servants
- Chairman, Process Review Panel for the Securities and Futures Commission
- Member, Aviation Development Advisory Committee
- Member, Steering Committee on Strategic Review on Healthcare Manpower Planning and Professional Development
- Chairman, Ma Wan Park Limited – Ma Wan Park Advisory Committee
- Chairman, Child Development Matching Fund Limited
- Chairman, Hong Kong Hymn Society
- Governor, Hang Seng Management College
- Director, Pacific Basic Economic Council Limited (PBEC)
- Chancellor, Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui (Anglican Church of Hong Kong); and Member, Provincial Standing Committee of Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui
- Founder Chairman, The Hong Kong Institute of Directors
- Founder Chairman, Opera Hong Kong
- Council Member, Association of China-Appointed Attesting Officers China
- Member, National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference
- Member, Beijing Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference
- Council Member, China Overseas Friendship Association
- Council Member, Beijing Overseas Friendship Association
- Council Member, Chengdu Overseas Friendship Association Past Private/Public Services
- Appointed Member, Legislative Council (1991-1995)
- Director, Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (2006-2012)
- Chairman, Listing Committee and GEM Listing Committee of The Stock Exchanges of Hong Kong Limited (2005-2006), Deputy Chairman (2003-2005) and Member (1997-2000); and Convenor of Disciplinary Committee (1997-2000)
- Member, Financial Reporting Council (2006-2012)
- Member, Chengdu Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (12th Session 2002-2007)
- International Association of Practising Lawyers (IAPL) (2011-2012)
- Chairman, Council and Court of Hong Kong Baptist University (1997-2006)
- Council Member, Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts (2007) and Deputy Chairman (2003-2006)
- Chairman, Betting and Lotteries Commission (2003-2009)
- Chairman, Citizens Advisory Committee on Community Relations of the ICAC (2004-2009) and Member (2003)
- Member, Advisory Committee on Corruption of the ICAC (2004-2009)
- Member of the Financial Matters Advisory Group, Consultative Committee on the Core Arts and Cultural Facilities of the West Kowloon Cultural District (2006-2007)
- Member, Education Commission (1997-2006)
- Member, Commission on Strategic Development (2005-2009)
- Chairman, Opera Hong Kong (2003-2006)
- Chairman, Board of Education (1996-2003)
- Chairman, Committee for the Promotion of Civic Education (1996-2003)
- Chairman, Advisory Committee on New Broad-based Taxes (2000-2002)
- Chairman, Protection of Wages on Insolvency Fund Board (1991-1998)
- Founder Governor, Rotary Club of Hong Kong Northeast District (1983)
- District Governor, Rotary International District 3450 (1993-1994)
- Member, PI Claims Committee of the Law Society of Hong Kong (1991-1998)
- Member, Professional Guidance Sub-Committee of the Law Society of Hong Kong (1990-1991)
Mr. Cheng has been actively contributing to the community. Between 1991 and 1995 he was appointed and served as a member of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong. His close association with government agencies, public bodies and charitable organisations has enabled the Firm in gathering extensive experience in serving public bodies. We can claim to be one of the top local solicitors' firms in Hong Kong which can provide highly specialised services to these bodies as well as those dealing with them.
Throughout the years Mr. Cheng had been serving the professional bodies regulating our practice as solicitors which include the Law Society of Hong Kong. Between 1991 and 1998, he was a Member of the PI Claims Committee of the Law Society of Hong Kong. Besides, Mr. Cheng was also a Member of the Professional Guidance Sub-Committee of the Law Society of Hong Kong. Currently, as a China Appointed Attesting Officer, Mr. Cheng is serving as a member of the Council of the Association of China Appointed Attesting Officers.
Mr. Cheng has in-depth knowledge of the Hong Kong capital market and the internal mechanism of the securities regulatory bodies of Hong Kong. Mr. Cheng had been the Vice-chairman and Chairman for the Main Board and the Growth Enterprise Market (GEM) Listing Committee of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited between 2003 to 2005; after serving for over seven years as a committee member. In the 90's Mr. Cheng was a Council Member of The Stock Exchange Hong Kong Limited and the Convenor of the Disciplinary Committee and vice-chairman of the trading and settlement committee of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited. Currently he is serving as a government appointed director on the Board of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited. He is also serving as a member of the Financial Reporting Council. Mr. Cheng is also serving as an independent non-executive director of a number of companies whose shares are listed on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited.
Mr. Cheng's achievement and contributions to education is publicly recognized. He is an Honorary Fellow of the University of Hong Kong, and CPA Australia. He served as Chairman of both the Council and Court of Hong Kong Baptist University, the Chairman of the Board of Education and as a member of the Education Commission. As from June 2009 he was appointed and he is currently serving as the Chairman of the Education Commission. He also contributed to the development of various primary and secondary schools in Hong Kong by serving as the council member of the respective schools.
For over twenty years Mr. Cheng has been keenly promoting good corporate governance practices and the professional development of corporate directors. Mr. Cheng is the Founder Chairman of the Hong Kong Institute of Directors of which he is their Honorary President and a Fellow. He is regularly invited as speaker and trainer for universities, professional bodies and institutions including the Chinese University of Hong Kong, the City University of Hong Kong, the China Securities Regulatory Commission, the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong, the Law Society of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Institute of Directors, the Securities Institute of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants, and CPA Australia. Moreover, Mr. Cheng is an adjunct professor of the Faculty of Business of the Hong Kong Baptist University, and a faculty member of the Kellogg & HKUST EMBA Programme.
As a devoted Christian, Mr. Cheng has been loyally serving the Hong Kong Anglican Church as its Chancellor, and as the chairman and member of its various committees including the Provincial Standing Committee and Diocesan Standing Committee of the Hong Kong Island Diocese. He is also an active Rotarian having served as the District Governor of Rotary International District 3450 during 1993 to 94 and contributes to various committees of Rotary International.
As far as government and public service, besides those set out above in relation to education, Mr. Cheng is currently the Chairman of the Betting and Lotteries Commission of the Hong Kong SAR government. He is also the Chairman of the Advisory Committee on Post-office Employment for Former Chief Executives and Politically Appointed Officials, the Advisory Committee on Post-service Employment of Civil Servants, the Citizen Advisory Committee of Community Relationship and an ex-officio member of the Corruption Advisory Committee of the Independent Commission Against Corruption. He was also the Chairman of the Advisory Committee on New Broad-based Taxes from year 2000 to 2002. For a period of 7 consecutive years, Mr. Cheng was appointed as the Chairman for the Protection of Wages on Insolvency Fund Board. Furthermore, he was a Member the Commission on Strategic Development, and the Aviation Development Advisory Committee.
For his close ties with the PRC, Mr. Cheng is a committee member to the Beijing Committee of Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (10th & 11th Sessions), the Chengdu Committee of Chinese People's Consultative Conference (the 12th Session), a Council Member of the China Overseas Friendship Association, and an Executive Council Member of the Chengdu Overseas Friendship Association.
Mr. Cheng is a major contributor to the development of performing arts in Hong Kong. Not only was he the Council member and Deputy Chairman of the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts between 2003 -2007, he is also the Founder Chairman of the Opera Hong Kong, which is the only professional opera company in Hong Kong. Mr. Cheng was also a Member of the Financial Matters Advisory Group of the Consultative Committee on the Core Arts and Cultural Facilities of the West Kowloon Cultural District.
For his contributions to the well-being and development of Hong Kong, Mr. Cheng was appointed a Justice of Peace and was awarded the Gold Bauhinia Star by the Hong Kong SAR Government as well as the O.B.E. by Her Majesty the Queen of the United Kingdom.
Directorship of companies listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange